On October 13th, the Santa Rosa City Council has approved an urgency ordinance to better regulate short-term rentals. Before this ordinance was put in place there were no regulations regarding rentals of residential properties for a period of 30 days or less, AKA short-term rentals. With the rise of public complaints and around 160 vacation rentals operating illegally, the Santa Rosa City Council knew that some had to be done. This emergency ordinance covers permit requirements, registration requirements, occupancy standards, operational standards, enforcement, and more.
This urgent ordinance will be enforced until Santa Rosa officials develop a more comprehensive and permanent regulation ordinance in the months ahead.
Short-Term Rental Permit Requirements
- Permit Required.
- Hosted Short-Term Rental. Hosted short-term rentals are allowed with a Short-Term Rental Permit in all City Zoning districts.
- Non-hosted short-term rentals are allowed with a Short-Term Rental Permit in the CMU, SMU, MMU, NMU, RR, R-1, PD, R-2, R-3, TV-R, CO, CN, CSC, CG, TVM. Non-hosted short-term rentals are prohibited in all other zoning districts.
- Application Submittal.
- Operators in Good Standing. Operators in Good Standing shall submit a Short-Term Rental Permit Application for existing Short-Term Rentals accompanied by the Short-Term Rental Permit Application Fee to Planning and Economic Development within 51 days of the effective date of this Ordinance, by December 3rd, 2021.
- New Operators.
- New Operators may not apply for a new Short-Term Rental permit until after December 3rd, 2021.
- New Operators shall obtain a Short-Term Rental Permit prior to renting, offering or advertising a short-term rental.
- Application Requirements. An application for a short-term rental permit shall be filed in compliance with Chapter 20-50, Permit Application Filing and Processing, and shall be accompanied by the appropriate Short-Term Rental Permit Application Fee. The application shall in all information and materials required by the short-term rental permit application and shall clearly indicate the following:
- The name, address, and telephone number of the owner and the local contact, if not the owner;
- A site plan including the location and dimensions of all dedicated off-street parking and on-street parking available for the short-term rental use;
- A floor plan showing the dimensions of bedrooms, and the locations of smoke alarms, carbon monoxide alarms, and fire extinguishers;
- The total occupancy allowed pursuant to Section 20-48.060 (B-D); and
- Such other information as the Planning Director or Enforcement Official deems reasonably necessary to administer this Chapter.
The information above is a condensed version of some of the new regulations but continue to the Full Short-Term Rental Urgency Ordinance to get informed on all changes. Or are you interested in getting notified once the application portal is open? Sign Up Here.
Quote Your Short-Term Rental Today
Looking for a policy that’ll protect you and your vacation rental business from liability and damage claims? Proper Insurance leads the Nation in short-term rental insurance, with over 50,000 policies written in all 50 states. Backed by Lloyd’s of London and exclusive endorsements from short-term rental leaders such as HomeAway and Vrbo, Proper Insurance is built on world-class insurance coverage that meets and exceeds both city and lender requirements.