The new year brought a big change to North Carolina’s capital city. Previously, short-term rentals were considered illegal businesses, but that all changed following a 7-to-1 vote to implement new short-term rental and Airbnb laws.
It appears the city is gradually adopting regulations from their previous total ban starting with special permits. The following short-term rental and Airbnb laws go into effect today, March 4, 2021:
Airbnb Laws for Hosts in Raleigh
- Every short-term rental operator shall first apply for and procure a zoning permit from the City. Zoning permits must be renewed annually.
- In residential zoning districts, short-term renters shall not utilize the premises for holding special events or gatherings.
- Short-term rental operators shall comply with all applicable state and local laws, including those relating to fire and building codes, smoke detecting and carbon monoxide detecting equipment, housing codes, and payment of taxes to appropriate governmental entities, including occupancy taxes.
- Every short-term rental operator shall maintain for a period of three years a list of all short-term rental lodgers on the premises.
- The zoning permit number authorizing the short-term rental shall be conspicuously posted on all advertisements for short-term rentals, and the subject property.
What makes a safe short-term rental?
Most short-term rental laws include safety requirements for hosts. Basic requirements typically include working smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors. For hosts who are looking to go above and beyond to ensure their guests stay safe, there are programs such as Breezeway, specifically designed to ensure optimal safety for short-term vacation rental properties.
“A lot of time and effort goes into maintaining quality, safety, and cleanliness across your properties – and Breezeway’s tools empower you to automate your operations and deliver an amazing rental experience.”
Breezeway is a self-inspection program, which means no waiting on an inspector to visit your property months from now.
Quote Your Airbnb Today
Interested in a policy to protect you and your business from liability and damage claims? Proper Insurance leads the Nation in short-term rental insurance, with over 40,000 policies written in all 50 states. Backed by Lloyd’s of London and exclusive endorsements from short-term rental leaders such as HomeAway and Vrbo, Proper Insurance is built on world-class insurance coverage.
*Proper has partnered with Breezeway to offer an industry best-in-class online safety inspection and certification program. Once certified, Proper is notified and you will receive a 5% base property and 5% base liability premium credit which will be refunded promptly. In addition, you will receive a physical Proper / Breezeway Certified Safe Decals to be used in your online marketing/listing and palced at the property. Enter promo code Proper15 to receive 15% off your purchase at www.breezeway.io/proper. Please note, if you are currently at Proper’s minimum premium the 5% credits will not apply.