Stringent Airbnb laws have arrived in Traverse City, MI, “Cherry Capital of the World”. Prior to listing your property online, hosts like yourself must submit a short-term rental application and obtain a short-term rental license from the city. The application must include the following details:
- The vacation home rental is occupied and operated in zoning districts as authorized by the Zoning Code of the City of Traverse City.
- A fire escape plan shall be developed and graphically displayed in each guest room.
- Proof of insurance as required by the City Clerk.
- Vacation home rental operators must post the noise ordinance hours and consumer fireworks ordinance in a conspicuous location.
- A self-inspection checklist is required as part of the vacation home rental license application.
While Traverse City doesn’t specifically state the type of insurance required, many cities across the US require a minimum of $1,000,000 commercial general liability. This is the most comprehensive type of liability available in the open market. (Call Proper to learn more – 888-631-6680.)
Airbnb Laws & Property Inspections
Not confident you will know what to look for when inspecting your property? Rather than listing your property blindly for rental on Airbnb, ensure your home is up to par with commercial property inspection standards.
Breezeway offers a comprehensive inspection of your Airbnb home. Their platform helps “coordinate, communicate, and verify detailed work, and deliver the best service experience to clients.” The best part is you do the inspection yourself – no long wait for an inspector to visit your property.
Not only can your property be certified in just 3 simple steps, but you’ll also receive up to a 5% discount on your Proper Insurance premiums (submit to minimums).
Quote Your Airbnb Today
Interested in a policy to protect you and your business from liability and damage claims? Proper Insurance leads the Nation in Airbnb insurance, with over 40,000 policies written in all 50 states. Backed by Lloyd’s of London and exclusive endorsements from short-term rental leaders such as HomeAway and Vrbo, Proper Insurance is built on world-class insurance coverage.
Proper’s policy covers vacation homes, townhouses, condos, duplexes, cabins, cottages, apartments, and more. With expert vacation rental underwriters, we can tailor a policy specific to your short-term rental property.