Short-term rental laws in Mount Pleasant are a work in progress with most recent updates as of April 2021. Changes include an annual application to secure a short-term rental permit with a limited number of permits issued each year. With rich community history with homes dating back to the 18th century, it is understandable that the city would seek to preserve the character of the community amidst the influence of commercial businesses. 

Active Short-Term Rental Laws in Mount Pleasant 

Hosts who hope to rent their residential homes on sites such as Airbnb or Vrbo would first secure a short-term rental permit and business license.  

Additional changes took effect April 14, 2021 to short-term rental laws in Mt. Pleasant include the following:  

  • All STRs must meet the definition of a residential dwelling unit.  
  • The maximum number of permits issued each permit year shall not exceed 400.  
  • A copy of the neighborhood covenants and restrictions if requested. 

Along with their annual application, hosts must submit the following items for review:  

  • Signed Property Owner Affidavit (a separate form for each owner) 
  • Copy of current homeowner’s insurance showing personal liability coverage and that the policy is in force 
  • Proof of property taxes paid 
  • Copy of ADU certificate of occupancy, if applicable 
  • Photo showing location of required off-street parking for each short-term rental unit(s) 
  • Initialed, dated, and signed Short-Term Rental Fire Safety Criteria 
  • Link of all URL listings from all booking sites 
  • List of all sites used for advertisement 
  • Transaction History Report 

Personal Liability vs. Commercial General Liability 

Personal liability is found in all homeowner’s insurance policies and protects against claims of bodily injury or property damage they could be found personally liable. It specifically excludes any coverage for bodily injury or property damage arising from “business activity”. Most insurance policies define a business as something that results in more than $2500 of financial compensation during the 12-month policy period. If a short-term rental produces more than $2500 compensation, then personal liability would not respond to any short-term rental claims.  

Commercial General Liability is found in business insurance policies and protects the insured against claims of bodily injury or property damage they could be found legally liable. It doesn’t exclude “business activity” and extends beyond the premise, i.e., dog bite off premise. Unless excluded, it also provides personal and advertising injury. It’s the most comprehensive liability insurance one can purchase. 

The difference between these types of liability insurance is astronomical and should be closely considered by hosts looking to enter the short-term rental scene as well as municipalities enforcing insurance requirements.  

Other hospitality entities including bed and breakfasts and hotels carry commercial general liability. Short-term rental properties should be no different. 

Quote Your Short-Term Rental Today 

Interested in a policy to protect you and your business from liability and damage claims? Proper Insurance leads the Nation in short-term rental insurance, with over 50,000 policies written in all 50 states. Backed by Lloyd’s of London and exclusive endorsements from short-term rental leaders such as HomeAway and Vrbo, Proper Insurance is built on world-class insurance coverage that meets and exceeds both city and lender requirements. 

quote your short-term rental today

Subscribe To Our Blog:

Want to stay up to date on short-term rental news, regulations, and more? Simply subscribe for blog updates.