Wyoming, known for its natural wonders draws tourism in growing numbers each year. With this growth, particularly in the short-term rental sector, comes more input from local governing bodies. In Teton County hosts are subject to short-term rental restrictions including a minimum rental period of 31 days or more. The County closely tracks any violations with fines up to $750 per offence.
Short-Term Rental Regulations in Jackson, WY
Jackson adopted short-term rental regulations beginning in 2016. Tourism has always been a driving force in the city, with The Grand Tetons National Park just miles away drawing in travelers from all around the world each year.
For hosts looking to lock into the available benefits from travelers, short-term rental restrictions do affect the way they operate their businesses.
The current short-term rental ordinance lays out requirements for hosts including the following:
- Rental unit owner or their agents must provide notice to the owners of neighboring parcels within 300 feet of the short-term rental property, informing these neighbors that a residential short-term rental permit has been issued and providing the name and contact information for the local owner representative.
- Any advertisement, including but not limited to newspaper, radio, print, digital, or voice advertising of residential short-term rental units must include:
- The valid permit number issued to the unit; and
- For digital advertising, an effective internet link to the Town of Jackson short-term rental law.
- Residential short-term rental unit owners are subject to and responsible for collecting and remitting all applicable taxes, specifically including the sales and lodging taxes.
- All residential short-term rental units are subject to the applicable building and fire codes and prior to occupancy must be reviewed and approved for compliance with such codes by the Town Building Official and the Fire Marshal, respectively.
Short-Term Rental Regulations & Safety
Short-term rental safety is unfortunately often the most overlooked aspect of maintaining a rental property. Cities such as Jackson understand there should be safety standards in place for vacation rentals. In many ways it simply corresponds with building and fire codes already in place, but in addition, there are valuable resources out there to advise hosts how to make their homes safe for guests.
Quote Your Short-Term Rental Today
Interested in a policy to protect you and your business from liability and damage claims? Proper Insurance leads the Nation in short-term rental insurance, with over 50,000 policies written in all 50 states. Backed by Lloyd’s of London and exclusive endorsements from short-term rental leaders such as HomeAway and Vrbo, Proper Insurance is built on world-class insurance coverage that meets and exceeds both city and lender requirements.